Job offersmore »
- Export Sales Manager grapes and citrus
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- South African plant stops pineapple concentrate production
- Hort Connections: The global trends influencing the industry
- Chile is one of the main fruit suppliers in Turkey
- International Sweet potato Centre training Ghana farmers on production
- Argentina still depends on Chilean avocados to meet the demand
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Up to 40% more melons thanks to nanotechnology
Nanolabs, a company specialised in nanotechnology, has been able to increase the production of melons by up to 40% on a farm in Almeria, thanks to the installation of ASAR systems in the irrigation system of the farm.
In 2015, 30,000 kilos were harvested, while in the same period of 2016, this figure increased to 50,000 kilos; a 40% growth.
To achieve this, Nanolabs applies nanotechnology through its ASAR solution, which acts physically on water, emitting a quantum of energy that stimulates hydrogen bonds. As a result, these become more active, which translates into a better transport of nutrients to the crops and a significant improvement in the use of the nutrients present in the substrate.
The increase in production has not been the only benefit of the project; it has also made it possible to improve the quality of the fruit and has reduced both the consumption of water for irrigation and the use of fertilisers and phytosanitary products by 20%.
For Javier Llanes, CEO of Nanolabs, "the dramatic increase in the melon production is just one example of the great benefits that nanotechnology can bring to the agricultural sector. At Nanolabs, we apply technology to promote sustainability and we work on innovative projects with impressive results in both production improvement and savings in water consumption."
For more information:
Martín Méndez de Vigo/ Inma Rico
Tel.: +34 91 564 07 25
Publication date: 5/18/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: