Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- Eden Agri Citrus: black farmers assume majority share-holding in packhouse
- Canadian growers shake their heads at talk of boycotting US goods
- First ever red sweet onions out of Walla Walla
- New Zealand: Exclusive avocado access to Australia under threat
- German specialist extending shelf life without preservatives
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
UK: Tesco to sell small lettuce to prevent food wasteA bonus crop of small iceberg lettuces has been saved from going to waste by Tesco, the company says in a press release. "They may be small but they're still tasty. One of our suppliers has had a bonus crop of lettuces. Our growers have thousands of perfectly edible but small iceberg lettuces. Growers usually have a difficult time selling these lettuces to the markets, processors and supermarkets because of their small size."
An unexpected bonus crop is when unseasonable weather conditions create more food than is planned. Despite advanced forecasting and ordering systems, at certain times of the year our farmers see bonus crops. Farmers, call these moments 'crop flushes'. It means that the products are in a limited number, sometimes in a limited geographical location and won't be available all of the time.
"Tesco have been been able to help reduce waste by offering these smaller iceberg lettuces to customers in our Perfectly Imperfect range, all at a great price of 29p."
"Our supplier G's Fresh approached Tesco and asked us to help. We've worked with G's for years and are in constant conversation about how to deliver the best produce to customers."
Publication date: 5/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: