Job offersmore »
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- "New melon programmes from Honduras are a nice addition"
- World Vegetable Map 2018: More than just a local affair
- Drones and laser labels for sustainable banana production
- An Australian first, blood oranges processed for Sicilian customers
- Mexico: Avocados from Jalisco will enter the US, regardless of what happens to the NAFTA
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AgroFresh RipeLock™ keeps bananas fresh during transportWith the vast array of international attendees in February at Fruit Logistica in Berlin, Germany, one may be surprised to learn that the bananas had one of the longest journeys to the show. Despite this, the bananas visitors saw on display at the AgroFresh Solutions booth had good color and taste, and the company attributes this to their RipeLock Quality System.
“RipeLock is the first technology of its kind to effectively maintain the quality of bananas — from green life preservation during shipping to a better in-home eating experience for the consumer,” said Ivan Van Dessel, EMEA RipeLock Account Manager for AgroFresh.
On display at 2017 Fruit Logistica in Berlin, the RipeLock Quality System is the first technology of its kind to effectively maintain the quality of bananas.
The power behind the system
The RipeLock Quality System consists of two synergistic parts: the RipeLock bag and the RipeLock active. Together, this combination can be seamlessly integrated into existing banana programs to help improve banana quality throughout the supply chain, including on display in the store.
Bananas are packed at the source in the RipeLock bag, a specially designed Modified Atmosphere Bag (MAP). The RipeLock bag extends green life during transportation and shipping, encouraging uniform ripening.
Near the end of the ripening cycle, the bananas are ready for the RipeLock active. The ethylene-inhibiting application helps extend the yellow life outside of the RipeLock bag. It also helps maintain the preferred texture and taste without the risk of peel splitting.
The RipeLock Quality System enables retailers to more consistently deliver fruit to their customers with greater visual appeal and a broader window of freshness. At the same time, shrink and markdowns can be reduced, facilitating sales and store inventory management.
At 2017 Fruit Logistica, banana suppliers and distributors received a personalized box with a single cluster of bananas to experience the RipeLock™ Quality System firsthand. Many commented on the impressive freshness, taste and yellow color of the bananas — even after they returned home from the show.
New opportunities for bananas
Organic banana producers and retailers can now benefit from the proprietary RipeLock bag without the RipeLock active. The RipeLock bag creates an ideal environment to control fruit respiration and maintain proper humidity, thus preventing dehydration and reducing rots and molds. http://www.agrofresh.com
“We continue to test new opportunities for the RipeLock Quality System,” adds Van Dessel. “With banana producers, we are evaluating later harvesting to increase weight of fruit and the possibility to reduce the need for post-harvest fungicides and pesticides. If successful, both of these could provide new ways to increase profit potential and fruit quality.”
For more information:
Ivan Van Dessel
Tel: +32 477 26 23 05
Tel: +31 651 98 74 77
Publication date: 5/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: