Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
AU: Capogreco melons well received in Japan
A Western Australian melon grower says his company has received positive feedback since exporting their fruit to Japan.
Capogreco Farms, near Perth in Western Australia, has been sending melons to the Asian country since February, after an agreement was reached last year allowing the importation of melons.
"The markets are good, as long as you send the right quality and build up good relationships," Sales and Marketing Manager, Dane Capogreco said. "The feedback on our melons has been good."
But he says the new opportunity comes with a reminder to other Australian producers to ensure their supplies are up to standard, as Japanese markets expect high quality fruit.
"I know that some people did not send the right stuff, and it arrived in bad shape and its affected the name," he said. "It is (a concern), not just for melons but I've heard about grapes and other stuff too."
The company focuses mainly on exports with a strong majority being sent to Asia and the Middle East. Wet weather meant a later than usual start to the harvest at Capogreco Farms, but while initial forecasts were in line with the 10,000 tonnes produced, it's now estimated volumes will be slightly down.
"The size is still there and the quality that we sent out was good," Mr Capogreco said. "Demand is good for what we had available."
Mr Capogreco says trials at Broome and Carnarvon have so far proved successful, and could mean year round production.
For more information:
Phone: +61 8 9733 2878
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: