Job offersmore »
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Australian banana producers cut waste with ice cream
Producers in Western Australia's Gascoyne region have reduced food wastage by more than 90 per cent, thanks to industry collaboration, and value-adding efforts.
Banana producers in Carnarvon, 900 kilometres north of Perth, had been forced to throw away roughly 60 per cent of their crops in the past, due to undesirable sizing, ripeness, and marks on the fruit.
However since 2009, when a number of growers began working together under the 'Sweeter Banana Cooperative', the growers have managed to reduce their collective wastage to as low as 4 per cent by sending "seconds" to other companies who use them to make banana bread, smoothies and even gelato.
Wholesale gelato maker, Matteo Bocecci, discovered Carnarvon bananas through his local farmers market where the cooperative also sends seconds produce.
"It doesn't really matter for me if they look pretty, or they don't, as long as they taste amazing."
Publication date: 5/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: