Job offersmore »
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe - Benelux and Scandinavia
- Grower Manager - Tuakau, New Zealand
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Australian banana producers cut waste with ice cream
Producers in Western Australia's Gascoyne region have reduced food wastage by more than 90 per cent, thanks to industry collaboration, and value-adding efforts.
Banana producers in Carnarvon, 900 kilometres north of Perth, had been forced to throw away roughly 60 per cent of their crops in the past, due to undesirable sizing, ripeness, and marks on the fruit.
However since 2009, when a number of growers began working together under the 'Sweeter Banana Cooperative', the growers have managed to reduce their collective wastage to as low as 4 per cent by sending "seconds" to other companies who use them to make banana bread, smoothies and even gelato.
Wholesale gelato maker, Matteo Bocecci, discovered Carnarvon bananas through his local farmers market where the cooperative also sends seconds produce.
"It doesn't really matter for me if they look pretty, or they don't, as long as they taste amazing."
Publication date: 5/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: