Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Frank Ocampo, Hagé International: the market has collapsed
May and June are critical months for Spanish pineapplesAfter a reasonably good start to the year, the pineapple market has taken a turn for the worse. "Right after Easter, prices tanked. Prices were between 17 and 19 euro three weeks ago, but after the Easter weekend, the market collapsed. There are all sorts of prices circulating on the market, but the average is between seven and nine euro," Frank Ocampo of Hagé International explains.
Franks cannot get away from pineapples, even on holiday...
The importer expects May and June to stay critical for pineapples. "There is not an excess supply, but we have more than enough of each size available. And since the natural flowering is expected earlier (at the end of May) this year, the volume is only going to increase in the upcoming weeks. There is going to be a lot of pressure until week 22."
"At the moment, there is no real competition for summer fruit from Spain. Pineapples are being touted left and right, but to no avail. If we are experiencing such a difficult market with normal production volumes, even with no competition from other summer fruits, then I am afraid we will not succeed. But we will wait and see. Last year we had surprisingly reasonable summer pineapple prices."
For more information:
2991 VT Barendrecht
T +31 180 648 765
Publication date: 5/5/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: