Job offersmore »
- Management Accountant - Portugal
- Outside Technical Sales Position, Horticulture - Canada
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Chile exhibited its fruit export offer in London
- TOMRA launches new food sorter user interface to improve work flow
- Maersk Line papaya shipment opens India to new markets
- Matthew Brigotti joins Idaho Potato Commission as Foodservice Promotion Director
Top 5 - last month
- Panama: President signs contract law between the State and Del Monte
- Hort Connections: 'Smart Packaging' is the way of the future
- Levarht launches China-produced tomatoes in retailers across the country
- Volm Companies and Wyma Solutions announce North American strategic partnership
- Italy: Natura Iblea's Paniere Bio initiative
Exchange ratesmore »
Metis: a new stone fruit launching in the UKStar Fruits, in France and Spain’s Rusticas Del Guadalquivirhave announced the launch of a new stone fruit brand Metis to the UK market, with the support of brand marketing specialist, Coregeo.
Already available in Europe, the varieties behind Metis were developed by Glen Bradford of BQ Genetics in California and have been brought to market thanks to a collaboration between brand owners Rusticas del Guadalquivir and Star Fruits, along with growers from Italy, Spain and France.
Metis is currently grown in these three countries by a small number of specialist growers including Royal, Zani, Minguzzi and Blue Whale. This unique plumcot is the product of natural cross-pollination by bees using selected apricot pollen and plum blooms in the first step, the resulting varieties are then crossed with plum trees to produce Metis. The company claims the resulting trees offers a firmer, more flavoursome stone fruit that is just as juicy as a traditional plum.
The Metis stone fruit family is made up of four brand members all with individual characteristics to offer consumers even more choice: juicy, deep red Oxy; refreshing Tonic, which has yellow flesh and contrasting red skin; Safari, which has an unusual mottled green skin and sweet, crunchy-but-juicy pink flesh and fragrant, yellow-fleshed Aroma with its purplish skin.
The Metis group is trying to build a long-term global strategy based on quality and brand management and has started to work diligently with Southern Hemisphere growers to ensure year-round production quickly becomes possible.
Michelle Toft, chief marketing officer at Coregeo commented:
“We’re really excited to be bringing this new brand to the UK market; we see huge potential for growth both here and across Europe. Metis is the product of extensive work by Glen Bradford and his son-in-law Jon Quisenberry, guided by the fact that consumers’ tastes are constantly evolving, especially in the fresh produce aisle. We know consumers are always on the lookout for exciting new fruit, and we’re sure Metis will catch their eye and deliver on flavour to secure repeat purchase.”
Commenting on the partnership with Coregeo, Renaud Pierson, CEO of Star Fruits and chairman of the Metis group in Europe says: “The UK is a strategic market for Metis, both in terms of volume and also because of its particular organisation and situation. Following our long and successful cooperation on Pink Lady we asked Coregeo, as a UK market expert and brand management specialist, to assist us in the UK.”
The new brand has already hit shelves in Europe, where Coregeo will be supporting the in-house marketing team to develop strategy and communications. In the UK the brand will be supported by extensive PR and social media activity.
For more information:
Kyla Flynn or Katy Meehan
Tel: +44 0113 307 0113/0207
Publication date: 4/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: