Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Top 5 - yesterday
- China: First ever large-scale domestic production of avocados to enter market in September
- Dutch launch first ever foreign pepper brand in China
- Conflicting reports about Russia importing Turkish tomatoes
- Criminals hack email of shipper for Dutch importer
- New technology helps reduce strawberry waste
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Bottles that indicate the right time to steal watermelons
During the month of April, empty plastic bottles have been found placed on the side of greenhouses in Almeria which are used by organised gangs of watermelon thieves as a way to convey information. Depending on the way these plastic bottles are placed, they reveal the right harvest date, so that thieves can break into the greenhouse and steal several hundred units.
According to the code, when the plastic bottle is empty and wrinkled it means that the watermelons in the greenhouse are at the optimal moment for harvesting.
When the bottle is placed vertically and not wrinkled, it means that it will take about three weeks for the fruit to be ready, and if the bottle is placed horizontally, it means it will take about two weeks for it to be ripe.
This code has already been reported to the Guardia Civil so that it can tackle the issue, as several greenhouses have already detected the presence of plastic bottles this month.
In April there has also been an increase in the hiring of Private Security teams to ensure the protection of the watermelons, according to sources from the Guardia Civil of El Ejido.
Publication date: 4/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: