Job offersmore »
- Export Sales Manager grapes and citrus
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
- "Greenhouses involve a great investment, but yield good results"
- “We use sustainable development goals and are producing healthy food”
- Argentina: Mendoza shipments to Brazil are delayed by the crisis
- Andres Ribas, Vientosur: “A good citrus import-season expected in Europe”
- Edible ink allows invisible label printing on fruit
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Arrival of first Almeria watermelons at good prices
Almeria's watermelon harvest has started this week, with the first fruits intended mainly for wholesale markets and Spanish fruit stores. Almeria will be able to supply watermelons for at least two and a half months.
"The volumes available are still very small and the prices are interesting," states José Antonio Baños, president of Ejidomar. "The watermelon market is very good at the moment, with watermelons from Senegal that have a very good quality and high prices, as well as some from Panama and Costa Rica at lower prices and lower quality with which many supermarket chains are still working.
Almeria's watermelon harvest has kicked off almost two weeks late this year. "We started about ten days later than last year, as growers chose to continue for as long as possible with aubergines, courgettes and peppers, taking advantage of the good prices they were receiving at the time," explains the president of this Almeria-based company.
"At the moment, we are selling black watermelons with seeds, white ones with seeds and seedless and Crimson watermelons. Next week, we will have the first black seedless watermelons and mini watermelons. The mini watermelons are mainly intended for export, as consumers in Spain still prefer large watermelons, which they increasingly buy in halves."
Next week, Ejidomar will have the first Galia melons, which will go to export markets in the EU and Nordic countries. "Melons are reaching high prices right now, as there are few volumes available; in fact, there are even less than last season, so we are optimistic about the campaign that is about to start."
For more information:
José Antonio Baños
El Ejido, Almeria. Spain
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: