Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
IAEA looks to increase Fiji's fruit exports with irradiation
Fiji is seeking to increase the exports of its fruits and vegetables to international markets, and has presented a proposal for an IAEA technical cooperation (TC) project to support food irradiation for the 20182019 cycle.
To support the preparation of this project, the IAEA carried out a pre-project assistance mission from the 3rd to the 7th of April. The goal was to assess the scope of the project and to collect necessary information from national authorities. The mission was composed of IAEA staff, an expert in radiation technologies, and a specialist in quality infrastructure and value chains provided by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO).
Mr Hillary Kumwenda, Chief Executive Officer of the Biosecurity Authority (BAF), who is leading the development of the new TC project, explained At the moment the HTFA plant can treat a maximum of 3000 tons of fruits and vegetables per year. However, Fiji has capacity to significantly increase its exports, if a new technology such as food irradiation is introduced. This would especially benefit the 250 growers and 15 exporters of fruits and vegetables in the country, who are exclusively small farmers with an average of 2 to 4 hectares each.
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: