Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- Argentina: Mendoza shipments to Brazil are delayed by the crisis
- Andres Ribas, Vientosur: “A good citrus import-season expected in Europe”
- “Everything called tomatoes is currently selling at bad prices in the Netherlands”
- “We use sustainable development goals and are producing healthy food”
- Mucci Farms gears up for growth with new private equity partnership
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Michoacan produces more than 60% of Mexico's strawberries
The Secretary of Rural Development and Agri-Food (Sedrua) of the Government of Michoacan, Francisco Huergo Maurin, stated that Michoacan produced more than 60% of the country's strawberries, as it contributes 253,537 tons of the national total, which adds up to more than 392 thousand tons.
Huergo Maurin stated that, according to data from the 2015-2016 campaign from the Agricultural Food and Fisheries Information System (SIAP), Michoacan continues to be the national leader in the production of strawberries.
He also said that, based on data from the SIAP of March 31, 2017, the 2017 autumn-winter strawberry production cycle showed the following variations when compared to the same period in 2016.
The national level production volume increased by 8%, even though the area grew by 17% and the harvested by area by 26%.
Michoacan produced 8% more strawberries than in the same cycle of 2016 and continues to stand out for its participation in the national production volume so far this cycle, as the preliminary figures do not take into account the data from Baja California.
The leading producing municipalities in Michoacan are: Zamora with 74,925 tons; Tangancícuaro with 57,820 tons; Jacona with 38,080 tons; and Ixtlan with 23,850 tons.
Other municipalities that also produce this fruit are Angamacutiro, Briseñas, Chavinda, Churintzio, Contepec, Ecuandureo, Hidalgo, Huiramba, Irimbo, Jimenez, Sixto Verduzco, La Piedad, Lagunillas, Maravatio, Pajacuaran, Panindicuaro, Penjamillo, Puruandiro, Tangamandapio, Tlazazalca, Tuxpan, Vista Hermosa, Zitacuaro, and Alvaro Obregón.
At the national level, Michoacán is followed by the state of Baja California with 82 thousand tons; Guanajuato with 32 thousand tons; Jalisco with 9,931; Baja California Sur with 6,825; Mexico with more than 5 thousand tons; Aguascalientes with 1,300 tons; Oaxaca with 158 tons; Sinaloa with 83 tons, and Chihuahua with 53 tons.
In the global context, Mexico ranks as the third producer with 379,464 tons. The leading producer of strawberries is China with 2,997,504 tons, followed by the United States.
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: