Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: OP Jolly Coop looks towards new markets"We currently export 30% of our stone fruit, 30% of our apples and 40% of our kiwis (green Hayward and golden Soreli). These are interesting numbers, but we are looking for new markets, especially for peaches," reports Giancarlo Bodrero, President of OP Jolly in Verzuolo (CN).
The 2016 stone fruit commercial campaign didn't go so well: results were below expectations for peaches and nectarines and plums registered losses due to the closing of markets, such as Brazil, and currency depreciation, as happened in Egypt.
The apple campaign was positive for the Gala group, while things slowed down for Red Chief and Jeromine winter apples.
The kiwi campaign will end in late April, 2-3 weeks earlier than last year. Of course, a 30% drop in volumes compared to 2016 had a positive effect on prices.
"We are rather pleased, also thanks to the good conservation of the produce destined to Canada, Brazil, Uruguay, China and Arab countries. We can say prices were satisfactory."
As regards the ongoing season, blossoming is good for stone fruit and not as good for apples, but it is still too early to make a forecast.
It will be Jolly's 30th anniversary in 2018 and new packaging and initiatives are being developed to celebrate.
"Although we have started dealing with apples only recently, we want to focus more on this segment as we have achieved good results and our associates have increased since we became a PO."
"We think that, in addition to new markets, the stone fruit sector needs varietal innovation. Customers buying Angeleno, for example, are asking for other varieties as well. Those who buy peaches, ask us for fruit based on the colour and shelf-life but, apart from Big Top, there are no alternatives."
OP Jolly Coop
Via Falicetto 58
12039 Verzuolo (CN)
Tel.: +39 017585572
Publication date: 4/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: