Job offersmore »
- Farm Manager - Vietnam
- Senior Grower – Tomatoes, Australia
- Plant Specialist City Farming - Netherlands
- General Manager, HandPicked Vegetables - US
- Agricultural Research Manager - Italy
- Grower / Consultant Asia
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- General Manager - China
- Agronomist - Armenia
- Grower Manager UK – Climate & Nutrition
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- AU table-grape, apple and cherry exports drop by up to 34%
- Banana exports from the Dominican Republic dropped by 75% last year
- Produce heavyweight Hein Deprez buys Hollands largest organic pepper grower
- Around Noon expands in the UK with Chef in a Box acquisition
- New labs and opportunities for NatureSeal in Europe
Exchange ratesmore »
Indian potato production estimated at near record levelsIndia's total potato production has been estimated at around 47 million tonnes this year which puts the year a few million short of the largest crop ever, which was recorded back in 2014.
The output stood at 43.4 million tonnes in the 2015-16 crop year (July-June), while the last record was 48 million tonnes achieved in 2014-15.
"Looking at the crop condition and arrival in Mandis, I feel the overall output will be close to record levels. Potato output would be around 47 million tonnes this year," National Horticulture Board (NHB) Managing Director A K Singh told PTI.
Singh further said that total area under potato was more or less at last year's level. But, good weather conditions coupled with recent unseasonal rains just before the harvest gave a boost to the crop prospects and improved yields, he said.
Publication date: 4/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: