Job offersmore »
- Farm Manager - Vietnam
- Senior Grower – Tomatoes, Australia
- Plant Specialist City Farming - Netherlands
- General Manager, HandPicked Vegetables - US
- Agricultural Research Manager - Italy
- Grower / Consultant Asia
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- General Manager - China
- Agronomist - Armenia
- Grower Manager UK – Climate & Nutrition
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- AU table-grape, apple and cherry exports drop by up to 34%
- Banana exports from the Dominican Republic dropped by 75% last year
- Produce heavyweight Hein Deprez buys Hollands largest organic pepper grower
- Around Noon expands in the UK with Chef in a Box acquisition
- New labs and opportunities for NatureSeal in Europe
Exchange ratesmore »
Tour de Fresh raises nearly half-a-million dollars for salad bars
Since its inception in 2014, the Tour de Fresh cycling event, presented by The California Giant Foundation, is proud to announce that nearly half-a-million dollars has been raised to support Salad Bars to Schools. The combined fundraising total to-date is $435,000, placing 192 salad bars in schools across the country and providing tens of thousands of students with the opportunity to choose fresh produce every day.
This year’s goal is to privately-finance 50 salad bars in school districts registered through Salad Bars to Schools, which is possible by raising at least $156,000 by July. Each of this year’s 50+ riders has a personal goal to raise $3,500 which presents an opportunity for the industry to come together and support this rewarding cause.
“We’re excited for the opportunity to have another record-breaking year with the 2017 signature event,” said Cindy Jewell, vice president of marketing for California Giant Berry Farms and The California Giant Foundation. “To say that our industry came together and raised more than half-a-million dollars for a cause that we wholeheartedly stand behind would be tremendously rewarding.”
The opportunity to support Tour de Fresh is ripe, since fundraising is still in the preliminary phase. By supporting Tour de Fresh riders or the general California Giant Foundation fund, this year’s goal will be met to bring the total to over 240 salad bars in schools across the country collectively, which grants tens of thousands of students access to fresh fruits and vegetables each day.
“With a healthy start to fundraising for this year’s event, I know we can count on the support of colleagues in the industry to propel us past that goal and well over the half-a million dollar mark,” Jewell adds.
Fundraising opportunities will be available for the next two months leading up to the signature event beginning July 25, with multiple ways for colleagues, family and friends to support the cause. Even after the event, fundraising will continue until all the salad bars are funded.
Publication date: 4/19/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: