Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Hard summer could lift banana prices by 20% in Nendran, India
A hard summer and insufficient rainfall have sent banana production in the state into a tailspin, to the dismay of growers in Nendran, India. The productivity of most crops, including coconut, slid drastically over the past few years. Only bananas recorded upward growth until inclement weather intervened.
Banana production dropped from 1,292.41 tonnes in 2015-16 to 1,218.15 tonnes in the last fiscal, says statistics with the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare. On the other hand, national production clocked 30,439.33 tonnes in the previous fiscal compared to 29,134 tonnes in 2015-16.
Accounting for 51 per cent of the total cultivation, the Nendran variety has been hit hard. Last season, it was priced at Rs 56 a kilo and is expected to increase by10 to 20 per cent this year.
Publication date: 4/14/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: