Job offersmore »
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Giuseppe Iacovazzo, manager at Miriam Frutta
Italy: "Given the shortage of Italian oranges, we'll turn to the Spanish"
This year, the Italian citrus season has been shorter and with a much smaller production than in other years. "At this time of the year, we usually resort to Spain, but this year we have depended on it almost all the time to be able to have a sufficient supply," states Iacovazzo.
That is why marketers and stores of different sizes have seen Lane Late orange prices rise by about 0.10 Euro compared to last year, as there have been extra costs involved in their transport. Moreover, as an alternative solution, numerous companies have decided to go it alone in the search for a reliable grower who could supply them with citrus. This has been the case of Miriam Frutta, "because the product is in high demand, we preferred to buy the fruit ourselves, thus avoiding intermediaries and saving expenses," says Iacovazzo.
"For us, it is not simply a matter of having product available; that is not difficult to achieve; it is about being able to offer our customers a good quality at a reasonable price," affirms Iacovazzo. That is why in late May or early June, they will resort to oranges from other countries, but paying special attention to the quality of the goods they buy. "This is what we'll do until the Italian market recovers and we again have access to domestic oranges," concludes the manager of Miriam Frutta.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: