Job offersmore »
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
France to help develop wilt resistant bananas in IndiaThe National Research Centre for Bananas (NRCB) in Trichy, India is to begin developing a wilt resistant banana variety. Accordingly, the centre has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Bioversity International, France, to research on developing a banana variety or varieties not prone to the Fusarium wilt disease.
The project, titled 'breeding for improved bananas', will be carried out by scientists from NRCB, National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR), Kerala Agricultural University - Banana Research Station (BRS) and the Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) Bengaluru.
"Wilt disease affects almost all the varieties. The attack of the wilt disease will lead to stunted growth of the plant leading to reduced production. Leaf spot disease is also equally dangerous. This project will help overcome this issue by developing a wilt-resistant banana," said V Kumar, principal scientist, horticulture, NRCB.
Publication date: 4/11/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: