Job offersmore »
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Innovation Leader - Johnston (Iowa), USA
- VP of Sales - Montreal, Canada
- IPM Consultant - Adelaide Plains, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Australia
- Substrate Grower - Launceston CBD, Tasmania
- Product manager for growing media - Finland or Estonia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
France to help develop wilt resistant bananas in IndiaThe National Research Centre for Bananas (NRCB) in Trichy, India is to begin developing a wilt resistant banana variety. Accordingly, the centre has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Bioversity International, France, to research on developing a banana variety or varieties not prone to the Fusarium wilt disease.
The project, titled 'breeding for improved bananas', will be carried out by scientists from NRCB, National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR), Kerala Agricultural University - Banana Research Station (BRS) and the Indian Institute of Horticulture Research (IIHR) Bengaluru.
"Wilt disease affects almost all the varieties. The attack of the wilt disease will lead to stunted growth of the plant leading to reduced production. Leaf spot disease is also equally dangerous. This project will help overcome this issue by developing a wilt-resistant banana," said V Kumar, principal scientist, horticulture, NRCB.
Publication date: 4/11/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: