Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Irish potato pilot project showing results in GuyanaA 90-day Irish potato trial project is currently underway in Guyana and, on its eight week, is now showing some positive results. This comes from a cooperation between the Natioinal Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (NAREI) and the World University Services of Canada, Caribbean and (Guyana) Incorporated, which cultivated five varieties of Irish potatoes on a quarter-acre plot in Little Biaboo, Mahaicony Creek.
The pilot project at Little Biaboo started in the latter part of January and is expected to be harvested at the end of April. The varieties included contain Spunta, Kennebec, Chieftain, Bristol Pride and Shepody, with Bristol Pride showing excellent yield and growth rate.
Chief Exectutive Officer of NAREI, Dr Oudho Homenauth, said this was a successful trial of Irish potato cultivation. He noted that a similar project was carried out at Laluni on the Soesdyke-Linedn Highway but, the exercise failed due to flooding.
Publication date: 4/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: