Job offersmore »
- Senior Manager, Technical Advisory and Category Management - Vantaa Finland
- Junior Trader Europe Division - Europe
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
- "New melon programmes from Honduras are a nice addition"
- World Vegetable Map 2018: More than just a local affair
- Drones and laser labels for sustainable banana production
- An Australian first, blood oranges processed for Sicilian customers
- Mexico: Avocados from Jalisco will enter the US, regardless of what happens to the NAFTA
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Irish potato pilot project showing results in GuyanaA 90-day Irish potato trial project is currently underway in Guyana and, on its eight week, is now showing some positive results. This comes from a cooperation between the Natioinal Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (NAREI) and the World University Services of Canada, Caribbean and (Guyana) Incorporated, which cultivated five varieties of Irish potatoes on a quarter-acre plot in Little Biaboo, Mahaicony Creek.
The pilot project at Little Biaboo started in the latter part of January and is expected to be harvested at the end of April. The varieties included contain Spunta, Kennebec, Chieftain, Bristol Pride and Shepody, with Bristol Pride showing excellent yield and growth rate.
Chief Exectutive Officer of NAREI, Dr Oudho Homenauth, said this was a successful trial of Irish potato cultivation. He noted that a similar project was carried out at Laluni on the Soesdyke-Linedn Highway but, the exercise failed due to flooding.
Publication date: 4/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: