Job offersmore »
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
- Application Scientist Salesperson - US
- Technical & Operations Manager - Australia
- Eco Brewing & Growing Technician - UK
Top 5 - yesterday
- World-first Panama disease-resistant Cavendish bananas developed
- Zimbabwe: Timing of general's visit to China raises questions
- NZ: AVOCO's avocado exports growing, despite some market inconsistencies
- New avocado variety to extend growing season
- Dwindling labor force in Washington fruit tree industry putting stress on production
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
As a response to the national market's low prices
Mexico: Producers from Sinaloa store 30,000 tons of potatoes
Producers from Sinaloa have been forced to store thirty thousand tons of potatoes, so far, in response to the low prices that prevail for the product at a national level.
Filiberto Cadena Payan, the president of the Potato Special Section of the agricultural private sector, said that they would market the product when the harvests slow down and demand for the product stabilizes again at the national level.
He said that the entity had practically finished harvesting all of its potato production, as there are only 800 hectares (out of the 14 thousand hectares planted during the fall-winter 2016-2017 cycle), left to be collected; which would be finalised, at the latest, during the next 10 days. Thus, producers are confident that the harvest will be completed by the end of this month.
The 2017 potato production was characterized by good conditions - due to good weather conditions and a low presence of pests and diseases.
He said they would market the produce, which they were temporarily withdrawing from the market, once producers were able achieve prices that would cover the high costs of production, and are confident that they can obtain a profit margin that would enable them to continue in this valuable, but risky activity.
Potatoes for industry
Cadena Payan said that, in parallel to the 30 thousand tons of potatoes stored for the domestic market, they also had another 70 thousand tons stored in warehouses, which have already been sold to the national processing industry. Their strategy, he said, was to keep them in storage and move them according to the production necessities of the industry.
The delegate of the Potato Product Systema in Sinaloa insisted that the sector needed to moderate the sowing of this crop for next year. The sector currently has 14 thousand hectares devoted to spuds, which is a very big area for this production, and as long as producers do not self-regulate they will run the risk of having market problems.
Publication date: 4/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: