Job offersmore »
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
- Australia: NSW melon farm speaks out on listeria outbreak
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL SWEET POTATO MARKET
- California's heavy rain highlights benefits of hydroponic strawberries
- Corona branded limes to be available in the Beer & Liquor aisle
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Seed Planet: The area devoted to seeds and plant varieties
The ninth edition of Fruit Attraction, to be held from 18 to 20 October, will feature a new area, called Seed Planet, devoted to the presentation of innovations in seeds and plant varieties.
This new area will highlight the importance of seeds as a starting point for the food chain and other consumer chains, as well as their role in ensuring a more competitive agriculture.
Moreover, since innovation is one of the highlights of Fruit Attraction, Seed Planet will also be the stage to learn about R&D&I in the seeds sector. It is important to note that 10% of the seed industry's revenue is invested in R&D, and in strategic sectors, such as horticultural crops, this percentage reaches 20%, according to data from ANOVE, the National Association of Plant Breeders. In short, this is the industry that is most committed to R&D: above sectors such as pharmaceuticals, automotive, aerospace, information technology, etc.
The seed industry in Europe, the world's leading exporter, has a turnover of approximately €6.8 billion and features a total of 7,200 companies of different sizes, with around 50,000 people working in the sector. In the Spanish market, the turnover reaches 585 million Euro; the fifth highest in Europe and the thirteenth in the world.
The ninth edition of Fruit Attraction, organised by IFEMA and FEPEX, will be held in Feria de Madrid's halls 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 and expects high participation figures, with more than 1,500 companies from the horticultural sector's entire value chain; an increase of 20% compared to 2016's edition.
Publication date: 3/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: