Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- South Africa: "Farming with grapes is a sprint, citrus is a marathon."
- Photos reveal Del Monte's new pink pineapple
- Colombia: Chiquita accused of crimes against humanity
- Greek producers are great trading partners for Poland
- "The PGI will strengthen our expansion project for Canary bananas in Europe"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Peru: Blueberry exports are expected increase by 23% this year
According to the Exporters Association (Adex), blueberry exports would close this year with an increase of at least 23%, and shipments could exceed 300 million dollars.
The manager of Adex Agro, Paula Carrion, said that blueberries had become a flagship product of agricultural exports.
"Blueberry exports have recorded an impressive growth in recent years and 2017 won't be an exception," she said.
Peru, a dynamic supplier
She said that the figures are a reflection of world trends for eating healthy and nutritious products, the access the country had recently gained to new destinations, and the favorable conditions there have been to produce this crop.
"Our country can be a dynamic provider," she added.
However, she said, there are areas for improvement, such as logistical conditions for transporting the product, greater presence at international fairs, and further promotions.
She also said that a delegation of companies associated to Adex had recently participated in the Fruit Logistica fair in Germany, where they showcased a number of products, including blueberries.
The recent entry of blueberries into China, she said, will help them increase shipments. Later, she urged health authorities to continue working to open more markets, especially in Asia.
"The work of the companies allows us to anticipate growth in markets such as Hong Kong, Germany, the UAE, and China; the latter has a population of 1,400 million people," she stated.
According to Adex, blueberry exports in January this year amounted to $9,656,000 dollars. The main presentations were fresh blueberries, followed by blueberry juice.
The most important markets were the US (4,507,000 dollars), the Netherlands (2,628,000 dollars), the United Kingdom (2,170,000 dollars) and Spain, from a total of 13 markets, which also include Thailand, Russia, France, Puerto Rico, and El Salvador.
The product's average price currently stands at approximately $8 dollars per kilo.
Publication date: 3/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: