Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: New strawberry variety with rising production every year
The Sibilla is a strawberry variety that is expanding at a very good pace in northern central Italy, due to a rising demand. "This is our second year growing them and our company has increased the volume by 15%, which is a big difference to the average production in our region (Emilia-Romagna)," states Mirco Zoffoli, manager at Superfruit. This Italian firm is currently growing at a double-digit rate, thanks to this product, according to Zoffoli.
"In Italy, the demand is high because of the lack of production in the south of the country due to the bad weather this past winter," explains Zoffoli. At present, "the Italian production is not exported, as it is intended for domestic consumption. The international market is now in Spanish hands," says Zoffoli.
It should be mentioned that, according to Zoffoli, "the main competitor for the Italian market, as far as strawberries are concerned, is Italy itself." However, "this year the price will be set by Spanish strawberries," according to Zoffoli. In any case, the entrepreneur already predicts that "varieties with high Brix degrees will not fall below 1.80 Euro per 500 gram."
For more information:
Via Melona 1047
Telf.: +39 3357710710
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: