Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Between 65 and 70% of Spanish watermelon production is exported
Countries like Poland, the UK, Germany and France are the most interested in this fruit, typical of the summer months, according to Valverdefruits manager Mario Valverde. This is why "the price of this product varies so easily, because its demand is based on the weather." Sales were good last season, with prices fluctuating between a maximum of 54 cents and a minimum of between 12 and 14 cents. For this season, which will begin soon, "we expect a little more of the same, although we know that domestic sales are going to remain stable," explains Valverde.
Last year, Valverdefruits, in partnership with Sandirey, produced a total of 70,000,000 kilos of melon and watermelon marketed under the Don Evaristo brand, in honour of the company's founder. Of this total, only 20,000,000 kilos were intended for the domestic market, specifically to the Costa del Sol. "This year, the plantation volume has been 25% greater than last year, so although we don't yet know what the total volume harvested will be, based on pure logic, we guess it will be more," comments Valverde.
For more information:
Tel.: +34 655 452 495
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: