Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- South Africa: "Farming with grapes is a sprint, citrus is a marathon."
- Photos reveal Del Monte's new pink pineapple
- Colombia: Chiquita accused of crimes against humanity
- Greek producers are great trading partners for Poland
- "The PGI will strengthen our expansion project for Canary bananas in Europe"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Consumers don't benefit from low strawberry prices at origin
The Union of Small Agricultural Producers and Livestock Farmers of Huelva has issued a statement to denounce the "high margins applied to Huelva's strawberries by retailers."
After a brief period of good temperatures, the strawberry production increased and prices at origin dropped. As revealed by the Prices and Markets Observatory of Andalusia, the fruit reached 1.30 Euro/kg at origin during week 10; that is, up to about 40 cents/kg less than in the previous week; however, this fall in prices "did not make the product more affordable to consumers, as the kilo of strawberries at the main points of sale cost around 4.00 Euro/kg, almost 2.85 times more," warns the agrarian organization.
"This situation highlights the great lack of protection of both producers and consumers; links at both ends of the chain which, far from benefiting from market fluctuations, in most cases either do not benefit or are directly harmed. The intermediary links are the ones earning the most, to the detriment of the profit of producers and the consumers' pockets," reports UPA Huelva.
"We call on consumers to keep themselves informed about the prices at origin of the products, so that they are aware of current price differences and the margins for producers and livestock farmers in Huelva," point out sources from the agrarian organization. "We want the rights of consumers to be respected and we demand fair prices for both consumers and producers," concludes UPA Huelva.
Publication date: 3/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: