Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Indian government to buy 28,000tn of potatoes from troubled farmersWith potato farmers finding it difficult to sell their bumper crop this year, the West Bengal government has decided to purchase potatoes directly from them, in addition to providing subsidies to help them sell the produce.
“We have decided to buy 28,000 tonnes of potatoes directly from the farmers which we need every month for the Anganwadi centres and the midday meal programme. The government will buy potatoes at ₹4.60 per kg,” Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, said.
To help potato farmers sell their crop to other states as well as abroad, the state government would also provide a cumulative subsidy of Rs 1.50 per kilogram. In the case of rail transportation, the subsidy would be 50 paise per KG of potatoes and Re one for a KG if it was shipped abroad, Banerjee said adding these measures would help farmers to avoid distress sale.
source: dnaindia.com, thehindu.com
Publication date: 3/16/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: