Job offersmore »
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Spain
- Sales Consultant Fertilizers Italy
- eine/n Verkaufsleiter/in Europa
- Professional greenhouse grower - United States
- Sales Manager - Netherlands
- Sales Assistant - Netherlands
- Logistic Coordinator - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance (QA) Manager - Australia
- Avez-vous une passion pour l’agriculture et pour l’Afrique? Si c’est le cas, lisez la suite!
Top 5 - yesterday
- South Africa: "Farming with grapes is a sprint, citrus is a marathon."
- Photos reveal Del Monte's new pink pineapple
- Colombia: Chiquita accused of crimes against humanity
- Greek producers are great trading partners for Poland
- "The PGI will strengthen our expansion project for Canary bananas in Europe"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Jamaican farmers in St Elizabeth quadruple cultivation of Irish potatoesAccording to a statement from the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries', minister without portfolio, JC Hutchinson, the cultivation of Irish potatoes has quadrupled, with some 60 hectares planted in the December 2016 to January 2017 period.
Hutchinson said that according to a Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA) report, the number had improved from the similar period last year, when 15.8 hectares were planted.
Under the National Irish Potato Programme, the Government has set a target of achieving self-sufficiency with the ground provision through the planting of 1,200 hectares of the tuber for the 2016/2017 season.
The total cost of the programme will be $1 billion with some $71.3 million spent, to date, on the purchase of seeds and fertiliser. In addition, the ministry, through RADA, will be providing $400m towards technical support for the programme.
Publication date: 3/14/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: