Job offersmore »
- Area Manager Russia
- Machine Operator Buitendienst
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Business Development Manager - The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Construction Workers - U.S.
- (Senior) Werkvoorbereider/Engineer Kas Plus - Netherlands
- International Account Manager - Netherlands
- Business Advisor - China
- Account Manager for Technical Horticultural Greenhouse Products - Canada
- Floriculture Sales and Marketing Professional
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Egyptian potatoes imported by Syria to tackle high prices
In order to ensure that the needs of the domestic market are met and to put and end to the dramatic increase of prices caused by the Syrian crisis, a batch of 5 thousand tonnes of Egyptian potatoes has been shipped and will be distributed in a number of provinces.
A source from the Ministry of Commerce has reported that the cause of the high potato prices in the Syrian market is the lower domestic production, as well as the rising demand for this product.
The source has also pointed out that the importation of potatoes will stop in late March, which is when a new domestic campaign is expected to kick off.
It is worth noting that, before the onset of the crisis, the Syrian market had enjoyed near self-sufficiency.
Publication date: 3/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: