Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Japan wants to import 20m boxes of bananas from the PhilippinesThe government of Japan is interested in importing Cavendish bananas from the Philippines, provided that it comes from the acknowledged areas of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
This was revealed by Agriculture Secretary, Emmanuel Piñol, who visited the camp late Wednesday. Piñol revealed the interest of Japan to import 20 million boxes of Cavendish bananas yearly, resulting from President Rodrigo Duterte’s visit to the country in October last year. “I was part of the President’s delegation during the Japan visit,” he said.
This announcement follows Piñol's previous announcement that South Korea was also interested in importing some 35 million boxes more of Cavendish bananas valued at $280 million. The 35 million boxes of bananas—with an average weight of 13 kilograms—would be equivalent to 455,000 metric tons (MT).
Publication date: 3/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: