Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Cultivated blueberry production continues to increase in Germany
In 2016, just as in the previous years, more cultivated blueberries were grown in Germany. The cultivated blueberry acreage increased by 9% compared to 2015 to 2,710 hectares. And according to the Federal Statistical Office (Destatis) about a third of the entire acreage used for the cultivation of soft fruit in Germany is open field cultivation.
In 2016 the soft fruit was cultivated on a total of 8,460 hectares (+4% compared to 2015), of which the most part (97%) is cultivated in the open field. About one quarter of the total German area is in Lower Saxony and 83% of that area is used for open field cultivation of blueberries.
In 2016 36,100 metric tons of soft fruit was harvested in Germany. A decrease of 4% compared to 2015. The harvest of cultivated blueberries decreased by 10% to 10,700 metric tons. In addition to blueberries, 7,200 metric tons (+ 7%) of red and white currants and 6,800 metric tons (-5%) of black currants were the largest harvests of soft fruit grown on shrubs in Germany.
3% of the soft fruit is grown in high tunnels. High tunnels are mainly used for the cultivation of raspberries (86% of the entire surface). With 82% of the total, raspberries are the most important crop with a total harvest of 2,500 metric tons (+10% compared to the previous year).
Organic farms produced 12% of the German harvest, 4,500 metric tons. Compared to the previous year the yield increased by nearly 12%.
Publication date: 2/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: