Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Israel: Jaffa Orri finds new marketsThe Jaffa Orri is a new brand joined into the Jaffa family, which includes the Jaffa Sunrise and other fruit brands. The Orri is an easy-peeler mandarin, which has become well known internationally.
"Jaffa is well-established, with some of the biggest products. The Orri brand is very important to Jaffa. Between 2009 and 2010, the Orri became big and it needs the support of our branding," said Tal Amit from the Plants Marketing Board of Israel. "It deserves good branding because it’s as good as the Pink Lady in the mandarin family."
"Spain and Turkey are competing with our varieties, but Orri has a much better taste. We also licence growers in Spain, but we’re talking 60 to 70 thousand tons that would be of Spanish origin. Our forecast for 2020 is 200,000 tons. This year, we’ll export 90,000 tons, out of 135,000 tons production. Spain is aiming for 33,000 tons. There has been some quality problems with most of their varieties, but I don’t know what is causing these problems," explained Amit.
Amit also spoke about the popularity of the Jaffa varieties of produce. "The variety is well received," he said. "This year, we plan to increase our export to two markets in Asia Pacific, Japan and China, in order to see how we can develop the markets over there. We are conducting market research in China and Japan to learn about the potential and how to grow Jaffa Orri sales in these important markets. Jaffa Orri is well positioned in Western Europe but that market is close to saturation."
"I see Jaffa Orri mandarins expanding into markets in America and the Far East as we develop new markets. Exactly how we want to grow is the main question. But I think that, at the end of the day, quality wins," stated Amit.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: