Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
- “Asian vegetables are no longer a niche product”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Giant citrus decorates tables in Australia
This giant, soccer ball-sized fruit, which is also known as citrus maxima, is predominantly found in South-East Asia, but is grown by several farmers near Darwin. Pomelo is used as a decorative food during the Lunar New Year celebration period, which began on January 28.
Han Shiong Siah from Tropical Primary Products said he hit the Sydney and Melbourne markets to meet the demand at this time of year.
"It's a season that we try to target and try to present them with a little bit of leaf, as a green fruit," he said.
"People love really nice looking fruit that can hold on the shelf for 14 days straight, so we've never had an issue with oversupply.
Publication date: 2/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: