Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Giant citrus decorates tables in Australia
This giant, soccer ball-sized fruit, which is also known as citrus maxima, is predominantly found in South-East Asia, but is grown by several farmers near Darwin. Pomelo is used as a decorative food during the Lunar New Year celebration period, which began on January 28.
Han Shiong Siah from Tropical Primary Products said he hit the Sydney and Melbourne markets to meet the demand at this time of year.
"It's a season that we try to target and try to present them with a little bit of leaf, as a green fruit," he said.
"People love really nice looking fruit that can hold on the shelf for 14 days straight, so we've never had an issue with oversupply.
Publication date: 2/10/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: