Job offersmore »
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
India: Farmers hit by heavy rains after drought
In the Warangal district in the Indian state of Telangana, the farming community has been suffering from the effects of drought on their crops; now they have also been hit by untimely rains which descended on the district for the past three days.
Mango orchards, banana plantations and vegetable cultivators have suffered huge losses because of the sudden rains and heavy gales.
Horticulture officials are yet to assess the extent of damage across the district, but according to sources, horticultural crops on about 2,000 hectares have been damaged. ‘The yield this time is much less due to drought conditions and now the heavy gales have added to our woes,’ lamented a farmer.
The founding president of Telangana Karmika Rythu Rajyam party, Martha Rajaiah has demanded the state government provide compensation of Rs 50,000 per acre for mango grooves and Rs 25,000 for other crops.
He wanted the officials to access the crop loss in a comprehensive manner.
(1 Indian Rupee= 0.015 USD)
Publication date: 5/9/2016
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: