Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Small sized crop due to summer droughts
New Shandong ginger harvest yield -20%The ginger harvest in Shandong is coming to an end. “Due to droughts throughout summer, the average yield per mu (1 mu is 0.07 hectare) is about 20% less than expected. Despite the fact that more ginger has been planted this season, as a result of high market prices in 2014, total yield is not higher than last season's,” explains Mrs Ruicai Dong, director of Anqiu Sanhui Foods. Anqiu Sanhui Foods is one of the leading ginger packers and exporters in Anqiu, Shandong Province. “Because of the lack of water over summer, the ginger pieces are thinner and smaller than normal. On the other hand, the quality of the ginger is better and storage life can be longer because the moisture content is less,” Ms Dong says.
Mrs Ricai Dong, the director of Anqui Sanhui Foods
According to Mrs Dong, there has been growing concerns about food safety in China. As a result, stricter food safety measurement have implemented. Farmers can only buy pesticides from designated government dealers. To make sure that the ginger does not exceed the Maximum Residue Limit (MRL), the food safety authorities conduct regular controls. Ginger will be destroyed whenever it does not meet the MRL. Because of stricter controls implemented this season, no food safety incidents have been reported so far. Organic ginger is becoming more popular in China and acreage has been increasing in recent years. Anqiu Sanhui Foods has its own organic ginger production base, designed for export to the EU.
New ginger crop being harvested near Anqui City, Shandong Province
Ginger prices vary according to different MRL requirements implemented to supply different export markets. Currently, ginger designated to the European market is selling at 5 Yuan (€0.80) per kilogram, which is lower than last season's price. This price is expected to increase once the market is realising that overall yield is smaller than last year.
The city of Anqui is one of the biggest ginger export bases in China. Of the exported crop, 40% is shipped to the Middle East, 20% to Europe, 15% to Japan and Korea, 15% to the US and Canada and 10% to markets in Southeast Asia.
Selection and packaging of the 2015 ginger crop at the facility of Anqiu Sanhui Foods
For more information:
Mrs Ricai Dong
Anqiu Sanhui Foods Co., Ltd.
Contact number: +86 536 4642717
Mobile: +86 13853607518
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: