Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Edible coating keeps avocados greenNatureSeal, a Westport, Connecticut-based subsidiary of RPM International Inc. in Medina County, has invented a food-grade formula to keep avocados and guacamole fresh, green and appetizing for up to four hours out of the refrigerator and up to three days when chilled.
Developed for and formerly only available to the food-service industry, NatureSeal for Guacamole & Avocado and NatureSeal for Fresh-Cut Produce will be offered to consumers at www.natureseal.com by next week. Until then, it can be ordered via phone at 1-800-344-4229. It costs $11 for a box of five packs for either product.
RPM will introduce the avocado formula to its shareholders at its annual meeting Thursday.
The food-grade coating, like NatureSeal's other products for freshly cut fruits and vegetables, is tasteless, odorless, free of allergens and sulfites, and Kosher and Halal certified. "Sulfites are commonly used to prevent oxidative browning, and we wanted to offer a replacement that was a non-allergen and healthy to consume," Murphy said.
"NatureSeal for Fresh-cut Produce will maintain the color and texture of sliced apples, pears, stone fruit, carrots and celery, without altering the flavor for up to five days refrigerated," she added.
"NatureSeal for Guacamole & Avocado will maintain the same qualities in fresh cut avocado (12 hours refrigerated) as well as guacamole (three days if covered and refrigerated after opening)." That means avocados can be sliced and diced up to eight hours in advance, when refrigerated, for salads and sandwiches.
Visit www.natureseal.com for more information.
Publication date: 10/8/2015
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here