- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- US: Commodities primarily sourced domestically face lowest compliance costs for Produce Rule
- ''South American season of air-shipped mangoes in full swing''
- Walmart: virtual reality training to all U.S. stores
- Del Monte Foods launch first master brand campaign since 2012
- “Our cutting plant can fill in mise-en-place role well”
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
- Fresh Summit adds Leslie Odom Jr., Experience Extensions to agenda
- Uzbekistan delivers test batch of fresh melons to Singapore
- Kim Jong Un presents South Korea with two tons of Pine mushrooms
- Kroger: leadership shuffle and consolidation of Roundy's and Mariano's divisions
- Local market flourishing for Colorado cantaloupe
Online sales of fresh potatoes online
The online grocery market in the UK was estimated to have been worth £7.5 billion in 2014, following year-on-year growth of 14.9% (Mintel, 2015).
This represents 5.1% of all grocery sales, compared with 2.8% five years ago. It’s set to be one of the fastest growing channels for grocery over the coming years as retailers improve their offering.
The share of fresh potatoes sold online is almost identical to the total grocery average and it could, therefore, be assumed that potatoes will continue to grow at the same rate as is predicted for total online.
However, the balance of products is shifted online and named varieties such as Maris Piper and King Edward account for a larger proportion of fresh potato sales online than in store.
A greater proportion of the main competitor carbohydrates (pasta, rice and noodles) are sold online – in the last year, 10% of dry pasta went through this channel. It is products with a long shelf life and product consistency that tend to benefit from the online channel and, clearly, this is a strength over fresh potatoes.
Potatoes appear to sit between the main advantage and disadvantage (above). While the bulkiness of a prepacked bag of potatoes could lend itself well to online shopping, not being able to choose products in person is a particular issue with fresh produce.
Retailers have been addressing this issue but it still remains at the forefront of consumers’ minds – the Mintel survey found that 59% of respondents would like more options to specify how they like their fresh foods.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/24/2018 Philippines customs intercept ₱16 million worth of smuggled onions
- 09/24/2018 Sweden’s fries could get shorter after hot summer
- 09/21/2018 ‘All preconditions for potatoes export to EU market fulfilled’
- 09/21/2018 Potato prices soar in Spain
- 09/21/2018 TAAT sweet potato compact launched in Accra
- 09/21/2018 US Market and Crop update onions
- 09/20/2018 US potatoes - 2017 Summary
- 09/20/2018 "Potato markets supported by confirmation of low yields throughout Western Europe"
- 09/19/2018 US: Truck with no brakes spills onions near Paterson
- 09/19/2018 Uganda: Sweet potato porridge hits supermarket shelves
- 09/18/2018 Market and Crop Update for September 13, 2018
- 09/18/2018 International potato sales highest ever for the United States
- 09/18/2018 France: "Surfaces planted with traditional shallots in decline"
- 09/17/2018 Potato Europe 2018: Focus on seeds, machinery and storage technology
- 09/17/2018 Turkey: Potato harvest kicks off harvest in Bolu
- 09/17/2018 "France and Belgium are positioning themselves on dual-use varieties"
- 09/17/2018 India: Nafed to begin disposal of 13k tons of buffer onion stock
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: High productivity for potato harvest in Bitlis
- 09/14/2018 Turkey: Onion harvest has started in Bandirma
- 09/14/2018 Germany faces potato shortage after record hot, dry summer