Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
EU: Spain demands same standards for imported organic products
Spain has asked the European Union (EU) to apply the same high standards to imported organic products as it does with their European counterparts, a "fundamental" element to be added to the organic agriculture policies, according to the Minister of Agriculture, Food and Environment, Isabel García Tejerina.
"The EU is very demanding of organic producers; we want European consumers to be offered the same standards when purchasing organic products imported from third countries," said García Tejerina. The Minister stressed that a revision of the European regulations on the matter is important for Spain, since "Spain is the EU country with the largest acreage for organic production."
Within this context, she recalled that Spain recently launched "a support plan for organic farming to strengthen the development of agriculture in our country, as well as exports and domestic consumption."
Another aspect that Spain believes essential is "a standardisation of controls at Community level," which is included in the proposal from the European Commission (EC) which raises the possibility of ensuring greater uniformity in the supervision procedures of all Member States; something Spain "absolutely agrees with," said García Tejerina.
She also pointed out that Spain has a good control system for the detection of unauthorised substances in organic farming, and that it is important for all EU countries to have effective systems.
Publication date: 3/17/2015
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: