Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
EU: Spain demands same standards for imported organic products
Spain has asked the European Union (EU) to apply the same high standards to imported organic products as it does with their European counterparts, a "fundamental" element to be added to the organic agriculture policies, according to the Minister of Agriculture, Food and Environment, Isabel García Tejerina.
"The EU is very demanding of organic producers; we want European consumers to be offered the same standards when purchasing organic products imported from third countries," said García Tejerina. The Minister stressed that a revision of the European regulations on the matter is important for Spain, since "Spain is the EU country with the largest acreage for organic production."
Within this context, she recalled that Spain recently launched "a support plan for organic farming to strengthen the development of agriculture in our country, as well as exports and domestic consumption."
Another aspect that Spain believes essential is "a standardisation of controls at Community level," which is included in the proposal from the European Commission (EC) which raises the possibility of ensuring greater uniformity in the supervision procedures of all Member States; something Spain "absolutely agrees with," said García Tejerina.
She also pointed out that Spain has a good control system for the detection of unauthorised substances in organic farming, and that it is important for all EU countries to have effective systems.
Publication date: 3/17/2015
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: