Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Guatemala ready to export avocados
"We are an association of 22 companies and we are ready to start exporting avocados," announced the president of the Avocado Committee, Marco Quilo, at the recent Fruit Logistica 2015, in Berlin, during an interview to FreshPlaza.
The country currently has approximately 7,500 hectares for the cultivation of this fruit and exporters aim to find a place in the European market.
"We still have no access to the U.S., but we see great opportunities in Europe, as we can supply at times when Peru, Chile or Mexico are not productive. Additionally, Hass avocados are native to Guatemala, which results in a more consistent product; a feature which Europeans appreciate," he affirms.
Marco says that the best window for Guatemalan fruit is from December to March, when they hope to sell large volumes. Another good period to export is from late July to October, when in case of not being able to ship significant volumes of fruit at attractive prices, producers could choose to export it processed into guacamole.
"We have standardised production and are ready to start exporting; the only obstacles we must face are political barriers and some logistical issues, but we can reach ports in the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain with good transit times," he points out.
"We wished to contact new customers directly, that is why we decided to attend Fruit Logistica, where we have made interesting contacts. We are optimistic about the qualities of our fruit and that this will ensure us a good place in the European market," concludes Marco.
AVOCADO COMMITTEE - AGEXPORT
T: +502 2422 3426
Publication date: 2/16/2015
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: