- Flower Bulb and Perennial Sales Position - Portland (Oregon) USA
- Plant Production Scientist - Brooklyn (NY) USA
- Greenhouse Assistant Grower - Abbotsford (B.C.) Canada
- Technical Sales Representative - South Western Ontario, Canada
- Farm Manager - West Africa
- Managing Agronomist - Surinam
- Vegetal Material Programme Leader - Cisterna di Latina (Latium), Italy
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Inkoop Specialist Holland Product - Netherlands
- Vegetable Grower - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Five things to do if you want more money for your fresh produce
"I have to find the way to get more money for my produce", he thinks, "this is what I've got to do!"
Here's some advice for Joe:
1. Building a premium price position is not an easy thing. There is nobody (nobody) in this world with a magic stick that allows this to happen in minutes. There is no such wonderful system that can miraculously get results in a month or two. If you want to get more money for your fresh produce, take into account you will need time and resources.
2. Start with analysing your product category. What do your competitors offer? What might consumers like? What are the requests that you're mostly asked for by retailers (do you already use a trade marketing approach, Joe?) Visit some stores, talk with shop-owners, interview a good number of consumers. Make up your idea based on all this.
3. Study your products, your company, your production techniques, your competences, your history; make a list of your strengths and of all things you can leverage on.
4. Look for a differentiating idea for your offer, something that can make your products unique, different from the others, in a way that they look more interesting for those who will have to buy them. This is the base of the whole process: your success will depend on how strong this differentiating idea will be. Work on the idea, refine it, find the way to express it in a simple yet effective way; make it short and memorable.
5. Communicate your differentiating idea to the world, to both trade and consumers; use it in your packaging, on your site, on your ads, on your sales materials. Everything you do will have to be centred around your difference.
It will take time, but if Joe will do all this well, he will reach his objective: he will be able, slowly, to start getting a better price for his produce.
Sure, this is not an easy process: it takes marketing knowledge, time and some investments. But in the long term, it might be well worth of all these efforts.
If you are interested in fresh produce marketing, download the free e-book "Introduction to marketing for fresh produce"
Pisani Produce Marketing is a training & consulting agency for the produce world. It was founded by Maurizio Pisani, former Chiquita and Fresh Del Monte executive.
For more info:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 09/18/2018 Comprehensible encyclopaedia for the plant of the future
- 09/18/2018 BEEsharing: Using bees to produce more fruit and vegetables
- 09/18/2018 Trump slaps China with $200 billion of new tariffs
- 09/18/2018 UMS appointed by New Zealand Avocado to expand presence in China
- 09/18/2018 India: High import duties on US products delayed until November 2
- 09/18/2018 US: Michigan officials add insect & plant to ‘Invasives’ watch list
- 09/17/2018 Success of Agriculture Bill will be in the details, warns British Growers
- 09/17/2018 Positive news for growers within fruit fly control zones
- 09/17/2018 USDA restricts PACA Violators from operating in Produce Industry
- 09/14/2018 European Union president eyes free trade pact with Africa
- 09/14/2018 Turkish lira jumps after Central Bank ups rates
- 09/14/2018 Post-Brexit farm policy outlined in bill
- 09/14/2018 USDA restricts PACA violators from operating in produce industry
- 09/14/2018 APHIS: Final rule to expand notice-based process for import of fruit and veg
- 09/14/2018 New Venezuelan currency - Inflation already at 100%
- 09/13/2018 Venezuela eases currency controls
- 09/13/2018 "An eco-federal program does not make for a sustainable budget"
- 09/12/2018 Food Foundation responds to new Agriculture Bill
- 09/12/2018 Does Switzerland produce half of all the food it needs?
- 09/12/2018 Nedbank calls for clear and predictable legislative framework to address land reform