Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
New premium sliced melon to capitalise on growing convenience marketAt the recent PMA Fresh Summit, the Brazilian company Itaueira Melon showcased a new fresh cut format, to be launched soon in the United States. Rodrigo Lima stated that “with many commodity melon products already in the market, the idea was to sell something different, unique in flavour and with a higher price, oriented towards high-end customers.”
The firm has been selling whole melons in the U.S. market for the past five years, and last year it launched its first fresh cut. “This fresh cut was just a chunk of melon, with only flesh; our melons, however, are distinguished from regular yellow honeydews by the colour of the skin, yellow instead of white. This is why we are launching this new sliced format, which keeps the skin and makes it possible for people to see the difference,” explains Rodrigo.
The label also includes a picture of the whole melon to ensure that customers who have been purchasing the fruit for a while are able to identify them with certainty as the same product.
According to Rodrigo, what is really good about this new item is that it allows consumers to eat the best part of the melon, the centre, in a convenient manner. “We remove the seeds and offer slices that are ready to eat, without the need for spoons, forks or knives; you just bite it.”
The new package contains 2 pounds (about 900 grams). Rodrigo assures that one of its advantages, which also results from the way the melons are grown, is that the taste will always be the same. “There are no surprises; that is why we are selling it in the premium market.”
In the U.S., the sliced melon will be available at Sam’s Club, which is part of the Walmart Group; other candidates have also already been sent samples. “Consumers in the U.S. increasingly look for convenience, which is why the fresh cut industry is growing. Itauera’s product is aimed to follow this trend,” concludes Rodrigo Lima.
For more information:
T: +1 305 365 7811
M: +1 305 915 2721
Publication date: 10/27/2014
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here