- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Procurement manager-buyer
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- Spain: "In this campaign, persimmon producers mustn't rush to sell their product"
- President of Accsea: “Naples and Salerno must work together on trade”
- USDA restricts PACA violators in California, New York and Texas from operating in produce industry
- Freight Farms announces 'Grown'
- "These potato prices will make it harder to get top export sales"
Top 5 -last week
Port of Charleston
Firm opens warehouse for frozen foods in Charleston region
Atlanta-based Agro Merchants Group is leasing a portion of the former Piggly Wiggly distribution center, which Agro has upgraded with high-tech freezing equipment and a Department of Agriculture inspection room.
The 121,000-square-foot facility more than doubles the amount of cold-storage space available in the Charleston market, which could encourage more importers and exporters of meat and other fresh foods to use the local port rather than Savannah.
"In some respect, we are taking a risk by coming to a market like this because we are putting a lot of pallet positions in a space that's going to be competing with a more mature market in Savannah," said Chris Hughes, president of Agro Merchants Group. "But I happen to think that, because of all the things the port has to offer here, and the fact that our customers have told us, 'Hey, we really want to be in Charleston,' ... we think it's a really good spot for us."
The Port of Charleston had about 9 percent of the refrigerated cargo market share last year, while Savannah had 28 percent. The State Ports Authority said recently that it hopes to catch up with its Georgia rival by supporting and investing in more cold-storage facilities like Agro, whose temperature-controlled space near Interstate 26 and Jedburg Road has enough room to store 14,000 pallets.
Jim Newsome, president and CEO of the SPA, said Thursday on Twitter that Agro Merchants is a "world class facility to support the import/export cold chain."
The SPA is contributing $12 million toward the expansion of the New Orleans Cold Storage property on Remount Road in North Charleston. Also, California-based Lineage Logistics is reviving a stalled plan to build a 340,000-square-foot refrigerated warehouse in Palmetto Commerce Park between Ladson and Ashley Phosphate roads.
Agro was formed early last year. With financial partner Oaktree Capital Management, it operates more than 1.8 million square feet of refrigerated warehouse space.
Its new facility near Summerville will employ about 70 workers, Hughes said, and a number of them worked at the former Piggly Wiggly warehouse.
"We worked closely with Piggly Wiggly to ensure we could transition as many of those employees as possible," Hughes said. "They know the facility, they're trained on forklifts and such, so it's mutually beneficial because it shortens the learning curve for us, and it makes sure that fewer of those people are out of jobs."
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/19/2018 APM Terminals invests in West African Ports, Lagos excluded
- 10/19/2018 AIT Worldwide Logistics acquires cold chain forwarder WorldFresh Express
- 10/18/2018 Ocean Network Express warns of first-year, $600 million loss
- 10/18/2018 Record container production forecast for 2018
- 10/18/2018 New sustainability pact between Panalpina and CMA CGM
- 10/18/2018 APM Terminals to manage terminal in Izmir - commitment to Turkey remains
- 10/18/2018 New intermediate bulk container offers logistics solution
- 10/17/2018 Mersin-Russia express starting in due course
- 10/17/2018 Hong Kong: Typhoon Mangkhut hits airfreight volumes
- 10/17/2018 US: Port Manatee sets multiple cargo records
- 10/16/2018 Primland announces its recent IFS Broker certification
- 10/16/2018 GAC-office opened in Panama
- 10/15/2018 MSC accelerates deployment of smart containers for customers
- 10/12/2018 Verbrugge Terminals wants to branch out into onions and potatoes
- 10/12/2018 Ecuador: Still disagreement on collection of container fees
- 10/12/2018 Belgium: Port of Antwerp on track for sixth, record year
- 10/11/2018 Tasmania: Hobart Airport freight handling and commercial precinct has its first tenant
- 10/11/2018 Arctic journey of Maersk vessel
- 10/10/2018 Emerson releases GO Real-Time Secure Tracker
- 10/10/2018 New China-Europe freight train route opened