- Business Development Manager - LED Horticulture
- General Manager/Sales Manager - Mannum, South Australia
- Produce sales professionals
- Salesman - Vojvodina, North Serbia
- Internationaal Verkoper / Trader AGF - Barendrecht
- Production lab manager - Oregon, USA
- Verkoper Groothandelsmarkten - Rotterdam
- Procurement Executive - Middle East
- Experienced export manager looking for new opportunities
- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
How to sell more produce without investing in marketing
"You know", he says, "my products are excellent. Though, when I try to sell them to retailers, most of them answer they're not interested in them"
This is a very common situation. Many produce companies simply try to sell what they have.
They approach their market with a sales orientation – first they grow the fruit or veg, and then they try to sell it.
Instead, they should have a trade marketing orientation – first try to understand what their potential customers ask, and then organizing production consequently.
How do trade marketing oriented companies behave, in other categories?
They first define what their potential distribution channels are, and then study them in depth using qualitative and quantitative research.
That done, they develop specific offers for each of the channels they aim to serve – in terms of products, packaging, brands. They have, in other words, different value propositions for their different distribution channels.
Take Coca-Cola as an example.
Coca-Cola approaches each of its channel with the same product (Coke), in different packaging (bottles, cans, bag in box, etc), different sizes, with promotional support and materials that are unique for each channel.
In other words, each channel is treated in a different way, specifically according to the channel needs.
This is the huge difference that makes companies using a trade marketing approach more successful in the market: they do not simply try to sell their production, but do build different offers tailored to the channels served.
Sure, this approach is dramatically more complicated than simply selling what one has produced – in terms of organization, production, sales organization, competence needed as far as marketing research is concerned.
But normally delivers much better sales results.
If you are interested in fresh produce marketing, download the free e-book "Introduction to marketing for fresh produce"
Pisani Produce Marketing is a training & consulting agency for the produce world. It has been founded by Maurizio Pisani, former Chiquita and Fresh Del Monte executive.
For more info:
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-11-16 "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best"
- 2018-11-16 Canadian grocers & innovators want to save $31 billion in food from being dumped each year
- 2018-11-16 Opposition questions government relationship with Cavendish Farms
- 2018-11-16 ‘No workers, no fruit and veg’
- 2018-11-16 Brexit: May falters and the pound takes a hit
- 2018-11-16 Relationship between MPI and US facility now heading in the right direction
- 2018-11-16 European Union decides on binding CO2 reduction targets for trucks
- 2018-11-16 Committee gives green light for Constitutional amendment on land reform
- 2018-11-16 Agri SA blasts recommendation to amend Constitution
- 2018-11-15 US: Psyllid infestation found near Visalia
- 2018-11-15 British cabinet agrees on interim Brexit deal
- 2018-11-15 European Commission makes €191 million available to promote agri-food products
- 2018-11-15 Tehran denies claims of Iran-UAE trade problems
- 2018-11-14 Minister for Agriculture pays visit to new La Linea Verde facility in Serbia
- 2018-11-14 Mexico: "We have to diversify agricultural food trade with Asia"
- 2018-11-14 Brexit deal: Brits could remain in the customs union for longer
- 2018-11-14 USDA cites Frutera Del Litoral USA LLC in Florida for PACA violations
- 2018-11-14 Zimbabwe: Zim-China Wanjin Agriculture Company targets increased value addition
- 2018-11-13 EFSA expands simplified food safety management system
- 2018-11-13 Fedefruta visits the Chinese markets that receive Chilean fruit