Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Number of farmers' markets in America has explodedThere's a growing desire among many Americans to have a closer connection to the food they eat, and one place where that connection is fostered is the local farmers' market.
The USDA's Economic Research Service tracks multiple aspects of how food is produced and consumed in the United States. They recently made a chart showing how the number of farmers' markets in the U.S. has more than quadrupled since the mid-nineties:
In their blog post showing the chart, the USDA points out that "the growing number of farmers’ markets could reflect increased demand for local and regional food products based on consumer perceptions of their freshness and quality, support for the local economy, environmental benefits, or other perceived attributes relative to food from traditional marketing channels."
The USDA also makes available lots of data on how food is produced and consumed in different parts of the country. Here's a map showing where those farmers' markets are, based on 2013 data, the most recent available. Farmers' markets are pretty widespread throughout the country, with the greatest concentrations in the Northeast, the West Coast, and other urban areas:
Publication date: 8/6/2014
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: