Job offersmore »
- Agronomist or Agricultural Engineer in Luxembourg or Georgia
- Nursery Project Coordinator Luxembourg
- Sales and Customer Support - New Zealand
- General Manager - Ontario
- SALES MANAGER - France
- KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Fresh Cut) – France
- Marketing Manager - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Key Account Manager Horticulture LED - Netherlands
- European Sales Manager – Based London or Europe
- Vegetable Production Specialist - Vietnam
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"Causal link between intake of blueberries and health benefits"
The results of the health research in blueberries carried out between 2008 and 2013 are now available. Blueberries are rightfully a Superfood, reports from Plant Research International (PRI) in Wageningen and the University of Maastricht show.
The results of the research into the bio-active substances of the various varieties and the influence of processing technologies on the stability of bio-active substances was measured by PRI Wageningen. The organic activity and the level of anti oxidisation of various blueberry varieties and bio-active substances, such as the molecular mechanisms that are involved in protecting the human against oxidative DNA damage were researched by the University of Maastricht.
Previously, in the autumn of 2006, global literary research was already carried out by PRI Wageningen.
We now know through (independent) fundamental research:
- that blueberries are healthy ("there is a causal link between intake of blueberries and health benefits");
- blueberries help prevent obesity and diabetes ("favourable effect on the fatty acid metabolism that plays an important role in the occurrence of obesity and diabetes");
- that the consumption of blueberries an contribute to a lower risk of cancer;
- that the consumption of blueberries can contribute to a lower risk of heart and vascular diseases ("there is a positive effect on the processes involved in bloodclotting");
- what varieties contain most bio-active substances;
- that the bio-active substances of the blueberry are very stable during storage and processing;
- the antioxidant value measured in varieties grown in northern Limburg are very high.
Publication date: 5/23/2014
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: