Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Dominican pineapple growers look to export 120 containers weekly to EuropeDominican Republic’s export and investment agency (CEI-RD), the Agricultural Development Fund (FEDA) and the Agriculture Ministry on Sunday announced a project to help more than 100 pineapple growers export 120 containers of the fruit to Europe each week and create around 20,000 jobs.
In a statement CEI-RD director Jean Alain Rodríguez said pineapples figure among Dominican Republic’s highest export potential and high income because it’s one of the tropical fruits the world markets most demand. "This project will add 20,000 new jobs, which will provide a livelihood for thousands of families."
In that regard, the head of the pineapple growers and producers association, Mario Velásquez, said the first harvest from the 10 million imported suckers is taking place across the country, but noted that to reach the goal of exporting 120 containers weekly, they still lack the land to plant them.
He said arrangements with the Dominican Agrarian Institute and the State Sugar Council are now being made for more land, “because this is a stumbling block that we have to develop this project and to export all that."
Publication date: 4/22/2014
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: