Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Sanitizing methods for fresh-cut kiwifruit safety and qualityPortuguese scientists have investigated the effects of different sanitizing methods as alternative to chlorine use in minimal processing of kiwifruit on microbial count, packaging atmosphere composition, colour and firmness of fresh-cut kiwifruit stored at 4°C for 10 days.
During minimal processing, fruit were subjected to 4 sanitizing treatments:
- 150 ppm free chlorine supplied as sodium hypochlorite solution at pH 6.5 (2 min, 10°C);
- 0.2 ppm ozone supplied as an ozone solution in water (2 min, 10°C);
- UV radiation at a dose of 1 kJ/m2;
- Heat shock by immersion in hot water at 95°C for 30 seconds.
Moreover, the UV treatment reduced the respiration rate of kiwifruit slices and had a beneficial effect on flesh firmness; while no effects were observed on flesh colour among tested sanitizing treatments.
Scientists conclude that UV radiation treatment, as a sanitizing method, seems to be an interesting and promising methodology both for kiwifruit minimal processing and for overall quality preservation during fresh-cut kiwifruit shelf-life.
Source: Beirão da Costa S., Conceição Moura-Guedes M., Ferreira-Pinto M.M., Empis J., Moldão-Martins M., "Alternative sanitizing methods to ensure safety and quality of fresh-cut kiwifruit", 2014, Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, Vol. 38, pagg. 1-10. Further info: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-4549.2012.00730.x/abstract
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here