Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Sanitizing methods for fresh-cut kiwifruit safety and qualityPortuguese scientists have investigated the effects of different sanitizing methods as alternative to chlorine use in minimal processing of kiwifruit on microbial count, packaging atmosphere composition, colour and firmness of fresh-cut kiwifruit stored at 4°C for 10 days.
During minimal processing, fruit were subjected to 4 sanitizing treatments:
- 150 ppm free chlorine supplied as sodium hypochlorite solution at pH 6.5 (2 min, 10°C);
- 0.2 ppm ozone supplied as an ozone solution in water (2 min, 10°C);
- UV radiation at a dose of 1 kJ/m2;
- Heat shock by immersion in hot water at 95°C for 30 seconds.
Moreover, the UV treatment reduced the respiration rate of kiwifruit slices and had a beneficial effect on flesh firmness; while no effects were observed on flesh colour among tested sanitizing treatments.
Scientists conclude that UV radiation treatment, as a sanitizing method, seems to be an interesting and promising methodology both for kiwifruit minimal processing and for overall quality preservation during fresh-cut kiwifruit shelf-life.
Source: Beirão da Costa S., Conceição Moura-Guedes M., Ferreira-Pinto M.M., Empis J., Moldão-Martins M., "Alternative sanitizing methods to ensure safety and quality of fresh-cut kiwifruit", 2014, Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, Vol. 38, pagg. 1-10. Further info: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1745-4549.2012.00730.x/abstract
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here