Job offersmore »
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
- Growing specialist Helda Beans & Peppers - Africa or Mediterranean area
- Product Development and R&D Engineer (Greenhouse and Equipment) - Canada
- General Manager Latin America - Mexico
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
USDA decreases estimate of Florida orange cropThe U.S. Department of Agriculture now forecasts the 2013-2014 Florida orange crop at 115 million boxes, down 5 percent from its December estimate.
The USDA estimated early-mid orange varieties at 54 million, down 2 million and Valencia at 61 million, down 4 million from December, according to a press release. Florida Citrus Mutual blamed the decrease on fruit drop caused by citrus greening disease.
"Once again citrus greening rears its ugly head," said Michael W. Sparks, executive VP/CEO of Florida Citrus Mutual, referencing a bacterial disease spreading throughout Florida's citrus regions. "We are in an unprecedented situation dealing with this disease and today's crop estimate only emphasizes how important it is for research to uncover a solution."
During the 2012-2013 season, Florida produced 133.6 million boxes of oranges.
The USDA's estimate of the 2013-2014 Florida grapefruit crop is now 16.5 million boxes, down 200,000 boxes from December. Speciality fruit is now at 4.4 million boxes, also down 200,000. The yield for frozen concentrate orange juice (FCOJ) remained the same at 1.61 gallons per 90-pound box.
The Florida citrus industry creates a $9 billion annual economic impact, employing nearly 76,000 people, and covering about 550,000 acres. Founded in 1948, Florida Citrus Mutual is the state's largest citrus grower organization.
Publication date: 1/13/2014
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: