Job offersmore »
- Supply Chain and Inventory Manager - Bologna, Italy
- Associate Director Global Procurement - Berlin, Germany
- FRUIT Buyer / Procurement / Purchase Manager 採購/買手 - Hong Kong
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Nordics - Finland
- International Account Manager City Farming - Netherlands
- CEO - Prague
- Plant Specialist - Melbourne, Australia
- General Manager European Region - Bologna, Italy
- Einkaufsverantwortlicher / Kundenbetreuer - Die Schweiz
- Continuous Improvement Specialist - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
Top 5 - yesterday
- US Romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak quite relentless
- A challenging new citrus import season from southern hemisphere
- NZ: Spraying without chemicals, residues or health and safety issues
- Busy first day of CPMA show in sunny Vancouver
- "Rumours causing importers to switch from Chinese to Spanish garlic"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
'Halos' vs. 'Cuties', may the best marketing winIt's a Halos versus Cuties battle at the supermarket. Shoppers now get to choose between two sweet-mini-tasty mandarins.
Wednesday on "First Look with Scott Cox," Californian reporter John Cox talked about the $100 million campaign behind the newest product -- the Halos.
Five years ago, Paramount Citrus and Sun Pacific joined forces and created the brand name Cuties. But earlier this year, the two companies "broke up" and the Cuties brand name went to Sun Pacific so Paramount was left with no brand name under which to promote its product.
"Paramount was stuck with a brand new 640,000-square-foot packaging house in Delano that could pump out 12 million Cuties a day, so they had to come up with a new name," Cox said.
Both companies kept about 14,000 mandarin acres each in Kern and other parts of the southern valley. Halos were available in grocery stores in November.
Cox said the only way for Paramount to move forward was to create a different name and market it as much as possible. "It's about branding, not so much about the product," Cox said. "It's that connection you have with the name that makes for great marketing."
Publication date: 12/9/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: