Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Fair Trade campaign urges EU to set up cashew regulationFair Trade activists are urging the EU to set up regulations which will prevent low pay and poor working conditions for workers in Africa and India.
Campaigners are objecting to a economic model in which a supermarket earns just over £1 from a bag of cashews sold for £2.50 while the factory worker in these developing countries makes 3p per day.
Comments made by EU Commissioner for internal markets, Michael Barnier, shows that a case may be taken up against the industry.
"Farmers and workers across the world are suffering every day because of unfair trading practices by supermarkets," said Liz May, head of policy at the fair trade organisation Traidcraft in an interview with the Guardian newspaper.
"It's time the EU took action and set up a regulator with the power to stop abuses by retailers that result in extremely low pay and appalling working conditions, " she said.
It is suggested that with its premium price, the cashew nut industry could be a great opportunity for Africa and India economically. Globally, it is a $4 billion (£2.5 billion) industry that provides jobs for millions.
Publication date: 11/26/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: