Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Lemongrass essential oil to preserve fresh-cut pineapple qualityMalaysian scientists at University Putra Malaysia have studied the effect of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) essential oil (EO) incorporated into alginate-based edible coating [sodium alginate 1.29% (w/v); glycerol 1.16% (w/v), sunflower oil 0.025% (w/v)] on respiration rate, physico-chemical properties, and microbial and sensorial quality of fresh-cut pineapple stored for 16 days at 10±1°C and 65±10% RH.
For the study, different concentrations of lemongrass EO were tested: 0.1%, 0.3%, and 0.5% (w/v), the treatments were:
- Samples coated with alginate-based edible coating with lemongrass EO;
- Samples coated with alginate-based edible coating without lemongrass EO;
- Samples uncoated as control.
Fig - Effects of different concentrations of lemongrass essential oil incorporated into alginate-based edible coating on (A) total plate counts and (B) yeast and mould counts of fresh-cut pineapple during 16 days of storage at 10±1°C and 65±10% RH. Means with the same letters (lowercase: amongst different treatments for the same case; uppercase: for the same treatment during different storage times) are not significantly different according to Turkey's test (p>0,05). EC = alginate-based edible coating; Lg = lemongrass.
The scientists conclude that the alginate-based edible coating with 0.3% of lemongrass EO should be the optimal formulation to prolong the shelf-life and preserve quality of fresh-cut pineapple.
Fonte: Azarakhsh N., Osman A., Ghazali H.M., Tan C.P., Adzahan N.M., "Lemongrass essential oil incorporated into alginate-based edible coating for shelf-life extension and quality retention of fresh-cut pineapple", Febbraio 2014, Postharvest Biology and Technology, Vol. 88, pagg. 1-7. Per maggiori info: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925521413002792
Publication date: 11/8/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here