Job offersmore »
- Assistant Grower - United States
- General Manager (Portugal)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Sales and Marketing Representative - Canada (British Columbia)
- Werken op een groene productie locatie in Afrika?
- Site Manager - UK
- Avocado Industry Data Analyst - Australia
- Assistant farm manager
- Plant breeder or molecular biologist (Denmark)
- Post-Harvest Senior Manager Required- Kenya
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- South African navel exports from Eastern Cape possibly 50% down
- North American company selling Spanish cherries to Asian countries
- Frost hits European fruit and vegetable sector hard
- Saturated apple markets mean difficult year for South African exports
- “South African grapefruit arrives on empty market”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Lemongrass essential oil to preserve fresh-cut pineapple qualityMalaysian scientists at University Putra Malaysia have studied the effect of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) essential oil (EO) incorporated into alginate-based edible coating [sodium alginate 1.29% (w/v); glycerol 1.16% (w/v), sunflower oil 0.025% (w/v)] on respiration rate, physico-chemical properties, and microbial and sensorial quality of fresh-cut pineapple stored for 16 days at 10±1°C and 65±10% RH.
For the study, different concentrations of lemongrass EO were tested: 0.1%, 0.3%, and 0.5% (w/v), the treatments were:
- Samples coated with alginate-based edible coating with lemongrass EO;
- Samples coated with alginate-based edible coating without lemongrass EO;
- Samples uncoated as control.
Fig - Effects of different concentrations of lemongrass essential oil incorporated into alginate-based edible coating on (A) total plate counts and (B) yeast and mould counts of fresh-cut pineapple during 16 days of storage at 10±1°C and 65±10% RH. Means with the same letters (lowercase: amongst different treatments for the same case; uppercase: for the same treatment during different storage times) are not significantly different according to Turkey's test (p>0,05). EC = alginate-based edible coating; Lg = lemongrass.
The scientists conclude that the alginate-based edible coating with 0.3% of lemongrass EO should be the optimal formulation to prolong the shelf-life and preserve quality of fresh-cut pineapple.
Fonte: Azarakhsh N., Osman A., Ghazali H.M., Tan C.P., Adzahan N.M., "Lemongrass essential oil incorporated into alginate-based edible coating for shelf-life extension and quality retention of fresh-cut pineapple", Febbraio 2014, Postharvest Biology and Technology, Vol. 88, pagg. 1-7. Per maggiori info: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925521413002792
Publication date: 11/8/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here