Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- "Our Kissabel apples go beyond offering a new variety"
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “Our Edipeel product keeps ripe avocados ripe for twice as long”
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
- Peru: French company is interested in dried organic produce
Exchange ratesmore »
Lemongrass essential oil to preserve fresh-cut pineapple qualityMalaysian scientists at University Putra Malaysia have studied the effect of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) essential oil (EO) incorporated into alginate-based edible coating [sodium alginate 1.29% (w/v); glycerol 1.16% (w/v), sunflower oil 0.025% (w/v)] on respiration rate, physico-chemical properties, and microbial and sensorial quality of fresh-cut pineapple stored for 16 days at 10±1°C and 65±10% RH.
For the study, different concentrations of lemongrass EO were tested: 0.1%, 0.3%, and 0.5% (w/v), the treatments were:
- Samples coated with alginate-based edible coating with lemongrass EO;
- Samples coated with alginate-based edible coating without lemongrass EO;
- Samples uncoated as control.
Fig - Effects of different concentrations of lemongrass essential oil incorporated into alginate-based edible coating on (A) total plate counts and (B) yeast and mould counts of fresh-cut pineapple during 16 days of storage at 10±1°C and 65±10% RH. Means with the same letters (lowercase: amongst different treatments for the same case; uppercase: for the same treatment during different storage times) are not significantly different according to Turkey's test (p>0,05). EC = alginate-based edible coating; Lg = lemongrass.
The scientists conclude that the alginate-based edible coating with 0.3% of lemongrass EO should be the optimal formulation to prolong the shelf-life and preserve quality of fresh-cut pineapple.
Fonte: Azarakhsh N., Osman A., Ghazali H.M., Tan C.P., Adzahan N.M., "Lemongrass essential oil incorporated into alginate-based edible coating for shelf-life extension and quality retention of fresh-cut pineapple", Febbraio 2014, Postharvest Biology and Technology, Vol. 88, pagg. 1-7. Per maggiori info: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925521413002792
Publication date: 11/8/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here