Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Food scientists collaborate with EU partners on Ethiopia potato projectIrish food scientists are collaborating with European partners to help Ethiopia develop sustainable seed potato systems. This project, “Developing sustainable seed potato production systems for improved livelihoods” was set up as part of Teagasc’s new policy on international food security. If successful, the research will be disseminated to help local subsistence farmers, firstly in Ethiopia, and then across sub-Saharan Africa through a “Potato Coalition”.
Teagasc is partnering on the project with Vita, the Irish NGO, Wageningen University and Research, the Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research, the International Potato Centre, Arba Minch University and the Irish Potato Federation.
Teagasc director Professor Gerry Boyle is in Ethiopia to visit a pilot project. “This project is being implemented with Vita in the Chencha region of Ethiopia,” said Prof Boyle. “The project will empower and strengthen the local knowledge base by funding and training three Ethiopian PhD students.”
Prof Boyle is due to pay a return visit to Ethiopian Agriculture Minister Tefera Deribew this afternoon following the minister’s visit to Ireland in early October. During the visit he will have an opportunity to see the Vita pilot project on sustainable seed potato systems, and explore the role of research-led agricultural development in the Chencha region.
Source: Irish Examiner
Publication date: 11/1/2013
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: